What documents or evidence do I need to present to court at the hearing in a holdover eviction proceeding?

Asked 10 months ago - East Meadow, NY

Im evicting a tenant from a single family house in East Meadow, New York. The tenant was served the 30 day notice to vacate. They didnt leave after 30 days. The tenant was also served notice to appear in court.

1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

2

Answered . Typically in a single family home situation you need to establish your ownership and the legality of the premises. However, holdover proceedings are deceptively complicated and a review of your petition is needed as is any possible government subsidy program if applicable.

That's why we're hesitant to pop off a simple answer. It's not a plug and play operation. Dealing with the government in any capacity requires representation.

2. Terry David Horner

2

Answered . Evictions are never as simple as they seem. Consult an attorney right away.

3. David Michael Kasell

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys here that an eviction proceeding is not as simple as it seems and that you should consult an attorney. At a minimum prove your ownership, the lease terms if any, whatever notices you provided to the tenant and proof rservice of the notices including the 30-day notice.

4. Daniel H. Richland

Pro

1

Answered . That depends on the exact nature of your claim and the specific facts. Speak to an attorney with all of your paperwork.

5. Mitchell Jan Birzon

Pro

Answered . Proof of the 30 day notice to vacate and proof, followed by proper service on the occupants will do it. Bring proof of your ownership or management rights to lease the property. Evictions are more complicated than they seem, so retaining an attorney is a good idea.