Skip to main content

What documents does my Zimbabwean wife need at POE on a B2 visa?

Los Angeles, CA |

I'm a US citizen, and my wife is from Zimbabwe. We both live and work in Australia as permanent residences. In two weeks we are traveling to the states to visit my family for 4 weeks with her on a B2 visa. Originally when she applied for the visa we specified a Texas address we will be staying at. The itinerary has changed somewhat in that we are now going to L.A for 3 days and then on to the Texas address. The fourth week we are there we have a Disney trip planned in Orlando with family and then have a return trip to Sydney Australia on May 17th. Being that she is Zimbabwean and I'm a citizen I just want the POE officers to feel comfortable that we are there just as vacation and I'm not trying to keep her there.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Relax. Rest assured that no one at the airport will ask any itinerary documents or other information from your wife. Once you both explain that you both live an work in the land of down under and are now just coming for vacation, and have the return tickets to prove it, she'll have no problem to be admitted. They will not give her any hard time at the airport, for even the dumbest CBP inspector will see that see is the spouse of a USC and that she can apply for and obtain a green card anytime. Welcome home!

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Take evidence of your job(s) in Australia and return ticket home. I agree it should be fine.

Due to the nature of this forum, Attorney Maria J. Marty does not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, her responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.


She should have a nonrefundable return trip ticket and evidence of her residence and employment in Australia.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Thanks! Now my wife only has part time job. She works just a couple days a week. I'm the one with the full time job. Will that be an issue?

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Probably not

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer