What documents do I need to submit with my I-539 when applying for a B2 Visa since losing my job on a L1A Visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

The form outlines what dependents on a L1 Visa need to submit but not the holder.
+ where do I explain why I want to stay?

+ I don't have a i-94 from my last entry (on my L1) into the US 20 days ago because they are now automated, is a screengrab of this number from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov ok?

Please note - I am only wanting to stay in the US for another 2 months legally and processing time is 2.5 months, so I don't really care if it's approved or not, I just want to make sure I don't do anything that makes any other entry or Visas later in life to the US to adversely affected. If anything, not submitting the right information and then delaying my application may be a good thing for once, so long as it does not make my application invalid enough for me to accrue unlawful presence.

1. Anu Gupta

Pro

3

Answered . Provide evidence that you only need the visa for a couple of months while you wind up your affairs in the US.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

3

Answered . You will need to get the print out from CBP, fill out and secure other USCIS Forms and provide other documents. If denied, the USCIS will not know whether you departed the U. S. If you leave, then you abandon and in doing so, you will have accrued unlawful presence from the time of filing.

The fact that you are applying for a change of status may create challenges or questions later on for visa processing, but this is unclear. If you leave the U. S. while the change of status is pending or engage in any form of unlawful employment, then this can complicate matters.

You may want to spend some time discussing this matter with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you decide whether it is best to file the form I-539. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . WRITE A COVER LETTER ... do your best to convince them that you really, and I do mean REALLY, plan to leave the US in 2 months, or less.

Yes, a screen print of the I-94 is what we are now using.

Consider having an attorney help you, this isn't a simple process.