What documents do I need to prove I had always been a single mother before I came to the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Key West, FL

I'm filing documents for marriage together with my American husband. I've got two children who live in Russia but cannot find the men with whom I had short relationships. From them I had two children from 2 different men in Russia and raised the children myself. I was always a single mother in that country(and I can prove it). It's impossible to find those men now. My children are 21 (daughter) and 16(son). How can I explain all that while filing I-485 and I-130?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I am afraid you are in a limbo. To be on the safe side, find an immigration attorney and have a consultation. I know FLorida has some Russian speaking attorneys, Besides, based on your post you may not even need that and can reach out to any attorney not necessarily Russian speaking.

2. Michael Haven

2

Answered . You shouldn't need evidence to show that you are single. If you were previously married and got divorced then you would need to provide a translated certified copy of the divorce but you don't need to prove to an immigration officer that you were never married.

3. Alice Antonovsky

2

Answered . Nothing requires you to prove who the fathers of your children are in connection with your I130/I485 application if you were not married to them. If you were married to them, all that's required is proof of divorce. You may want to retain an immigration attorney to assist you with preparing and filing your documents. Good luck.