What documents do I need to gather to file for bankruptcy?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

I'm going to have to file for bankruptcy, and want to know what main documents I should bring with me to a first meeting with a bankruptcy attorney?

Call them and ask! Every lawyer does it differently. I tell my new clients to bring themselves and nothing else. I send them home with a list of the documents I'll need, which is tailored to what they've told me during the intake meeting.

You should gather your pay stubs for the last 6-7 months, copies of your two most recent tax returns, 6 months of bank statements, copy of mortgage and deed if available, any foreclosure notices if applicable, copies of your most recent bills, any collection documents, copies of complaints if sued, lease documents if applicable, 401k statements and other investments, and if you haven't already done so, you can make his or her life easier by going to and obtaining copies of all big three credit bureau reports. That should be a good start.

***I have been designated as a federal debt relief agency by an act of Congress. Among other services, I help people obtain relief from their debts through the Bankruptcy Code.*** Any information provided on this website, is for informational purposes only. Please seek advice of a qualified lawyer in your area for information pertaining to your particular case.

Mr. Oney has the better approach. You are nervous, concerned and perhaps a bit ashamed about having to consider bankruptcy. You need to bring yourself and talk about your concerns. Once those have been addressed, then we can talk about what YOUR situation requires, and put together a list of items if you wish to proceed.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt