What documents do I need to apply for residency if I'm marrying a US citizen entering the US Navy?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My boyfriend and I met 7 years ago when I was in high school in NY, I left NY and moved back to Mexico City. We've been having a long distance relationship but we want to get married right after he comes back from A school (which is in 4 months) and he wants me to move to the US. I wanted to know if I will have a problem applying for my residency if I state that I used to live illegally in the US. I currently have a tourist visa and I can go back and forth to the US. I have been living in Mexico City for 4 years now. Would he get in trouble with the US Navy for marrying me? Should we get an immigration lawyer for this?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

1

Answered . Yes, you need to make sure that you are not subject to the 10-year unlawful presence bar.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . It may or may not be a problem depending on who long you stayed in the USA illegally after your 18th birthday.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

2

Answered . Too many to list on Avvo.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.