Skip to main content

What documents do I need to apply for residency if I'm marrying a US citizen entering the US Navy?

New York, NY |

My boyfriend and I met 7 years ago when I was in high school in NY, I left NY and moved back to Mexico City. We've been having a long distance relationship but we want to get married right after he comes back from A school (which is in 4 months) and he wants me to move to the US. I wanted to know if I will have a problem applying for my residency if I state that I used to live illegally in the US. I currently have a tourist visa and I can go back and forth to the US. I have been living in Mexico City for 4 years now. Would he get in trouble with the US Navy for marrying me? Should we get an immigration lawyer for this?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    It may or may not be a problem depending on who long you stayed in the USA illegally after your 18th birthday.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Too many to list on Avvo.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Yes, you need to make sure that you are not subject to the 10-year unlawful presence bar.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics