Skip to main content

What documents are needed to apply for a social security number , while using a EAD card?

Washington, DC |

I recently got my EAD card in the mail and i am now trying to apply for my ss number, as i never had one before. My foreign passport , which is the only form of identification i have, has been expired since July, but still has a valid unexpired Visa. Are these documents ( passport / Visa and EAD) enough to apply for my SSN?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, they should be enough.

  2. Not an immigration question.

  3. Social Security requires evidence of your Immigration Status, Authorization to Work, Age, and Identity. Your Work Permit will satisfy most of these requirements. In order to establish your age, however, Social Security states: "You must present your foreign birth certificate if you have it or can get it within 10 days. If not, we will consider other documents such as your passport or a document issued by DHS as evidence of your age." Thus, your best bet would be to present your original birth certificate, if available. If it is unavailable, you should consider renewing your passport. An expired passport may be a problem.

    You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.

  4. Your EAD card and your birth certificate should to it. Take your passport with you even if expired.

    Abraham B. Cardenas, Esquire Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. Florida Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, LLC 8150 SW 8th Street, Suite 122 Miami, Florida 33144 (786) 347-1605 Pennsylvania Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. 18 S George Street, Suite 615 York, PA 17401 (717) 854-6400 Office Phone (866) 353-5570 Fax Number (English) (Spanish) The posting on this web site for viewing by potential clients or others interested in learning about legal topics does not create an attorney-client relationship. The fact that an attorney may informally answer general E-Mail questions does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney Abraham B. Cardenas is licensed to practice only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and practices immigration law throughout the United States. This web post is for informational purposes only. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after the potential client meets with an attorney AND has paid the appropriate retainer fee.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics