Skip to main content

What documentation and paper work does my fiance, from Palestine, need for us to get married in Florida?

Daytona Beach, FL |

He has a B1/B2 visa and is currently here in the US. He has a recent divorce in Palestine and we know we need to prove that he is divorced, what is that paper called? What other documentation does he need? I am a citizen and we are both of age.

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Probably a "divorce decree." As for the other stuff, there's a lot and it's a little complicated. You'll have the best chance of success if you work with an immigration lawyer for this. These aren't tough cases if you've handled dozens or hundreds of them, but they're not easy to navigate through for the first time, especially for a non-lawyer.

    This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just a casual opinion expressed about a hypothetical situation.

  2. It sounds like you're asking a non-immigration question: What documents does the State of Florida require .. you should call the marriage license office and ask.

    As for immigration, you will need CERTIFIED copies (and translations if necessary) of all marriage/divorces that have taken place, for BOTH of you.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. Under the PA in Gaza and the West Bank, marriage and divorce certificates should be requested from the Sharia court. Work with an attorney familiar with Embassy Processing for your Fiance's case.

    --Jeff Khurgel, Esq.
    Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in all 50 States
    University Tower
    4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550
    Irvine, CA 92612

    Office: (949) 509-6515
    Direct: (949) 535-6331

    Immigration Attorney Jeff Khurgel* Assists Clients in all 50 States -- Call or email for a Consultation -- -- Contact information below. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / *Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.

  4. You need to get a marriage license in the city where you want to be married. He will need his passport. In regards to the petition you should contact an immigration attorney. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. (305) 921-0440 Real Estate Law | Business Law | Immigration Law

  5. Hello Ma'am. This seems doable, but there are several things to look out for. We need to make sure that we present sufficient documentation of your relationship, that there are no issues of preconceived intent, and to file properly. Also, it is advisable to have an attorney represent you both in the filing and at the interview. Even though there may not be anything wrong about your case, often the USCIS doesn't see it that way. Best regards.

  6. Different jurisdiction have different requirements. Check with the local jurisdiction where you want to marry for requirements. For filing for resident status use an immigration attorney.


  7. You will need a certified copy of your fiance's divorce decree from Palestine. Other documents will include any documents that tend to prove that your marriage is bona fide (that is, not just for the purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit). The specifics of that list depend on the individual details of your case, therefore, you would be wise to consult with an immigration attorney. Additionally, there are strict timing rules that you should be aware of with regard to individuals who enter on a B1/B2 and then seek adjustment of status.

  8. He needs a valid photo ID issued by the state or federal government with his correct legal name, signature, and birth date: Driver's License, Passport, Military ID, Alien Registration Card, State of Florida ID are acceptable. Birth certificates or green cards are NOT acceptable. Non- U.S. Residents may provide an Alien Registration Card, Driver License, Passport or any other legal form of identification if he does not have a Social Security Number issued to him. He will need a second form of ID if a U.S. Social Security number has not been issued such as a original printed paycheck stub, W-2 form, SSA Medicare card, Third Party Notice or Future Benefits Earning Statement from SSA. Copies of Final Decree of Divorce, Dissolution or Annulment are NOT required but a copy should be obtained/retained for his records.

    PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this response is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  9. He will need a government issues photo id such as a passport and the original or certified copy of his divorce.

    Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
    386 246 6888

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics