Skip to main content

What document can be used to prove that I am a US citizen besides passport and naturalization certificate?

Las Vegas, NV |

I got US citizenship through naturalization a few years back but lost the certificate and I never got a US passport . I applied for replacement ( N565 ) six months ago and received a mail now stating that it was approved but I have to wait a few months until they process and send the actual certificate . Is it possible to use the approval receipt as proof of citizenship when applying for Adjustment of Status for my husband ? If not , what other options are there to save time ? My husband has F 1 ( OPT ) visa which expired a year ago and we have been married for two years .

Attorney Answers 4

  1. "Saving time" may not be an option. Your approval receipt will not be adequate to prove citizenship.

    You will need copies ( or originals) of your proof of your U.S. citizenship status (a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or passport) or permanent resident status (a green card or stamp in your passport).

    Do consult an an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  2. For now you need to be patient.
    At my USCIS office persons receive their certificate at the ceremony. If you have not yet attended a ceremony then you are not yet a citizen.

  3. I agree with my colleagues. There is no temporary stamp USCIS will provide you while you wait for the new certificate to be mailed to you.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  4. It is possible. We did this several times and it did work. When you provide your A number to the USCIS they will independently verify your citizenship. In worst case, you will get an RFE which will take several months and by that time you will have your certificate and be able to prove your citizenship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics