What do you think is safer and smarter to do in my situation: I'm divorced and remarried. Filed joint I-751 with my ex husband

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

and it's still under review. Since i'm married can i just file new adjustment of status OR you think it's better and safer to file new I-751?

1. Lisa A. Tehlirian

Pro

4

Answered . If your conditional Permanent Resident status is based on your marriage to your ex-husband, I would advise filing a new I-751 waiver based on being in a good faith marriage that terminated through divorce. I would advise consulting with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options in greater detail.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . The jointly filed petition will be denied considering the divorce. You should file I-751 seeking waiver. However you should discuss your case with an experienced immigration attorney who will seek more information and advise accordingly.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

4. Irene Vaisman

Pro

2

Answered . I think you should retain an attorney and go over all of your options with that person who will know all of the details and intricacies of your specific case).

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  5. David Dene Murray

Answered . This is what happens when people believe the I-751 is so easy to fill out . . . the form is free online . . . and the instructions are clear on the USCIS web site. However, nowhere on the Internet does it give advice as to any particular situation. All matters involving immigration law require the expertise of experience immigration counsel, because this is your life, your ability to remain in the USA. I wonder if you realize that if your I-751 is denied you you will be subject to removal and your re-marriage, even to a US citizen will not remedy this? You should immediately withdraw your joint petition and refile with the proper designation of a good faith marriage filing single after divorce. You are lucky you are divorced, it your divorce were pending, there are huge complicating factors. The bottom line is, seek competent immigration counsel. As they say, "Don't try this at home."