What do you suppose the thinking is behind a Revenue Officer sending a letter wanting an in office meeting in a state over 900

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

Miles away.

We owed back taxes of $10,000 (inc.penalties and interest) from 06/2001-2002. The letter is hand addressed. The only option I was given was to reschdule meeting. It is my first contact with the IRS in years. The letter was not sent by certified mail. IT is a letter requesting me to meet with the Revenue Officer in his office in regards to $10,000 in back taxes owed and unfiled tax returns for 2008-2010. He wants me to file with him and sign them and pay the $10,000. Could anyone please help me in this regard? Thank you.

1. John P Fazzio III

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with Mr. Cappuccio again. It is critical that you get your 2008-2010 returns filed right away. You cannot get on a payment plan with the IRS for the old 2001/2002 taxes until you are "currently compliant." Also, there are some really great payment plan or settlement options right now under the new IRS Fresh Start program that are available. For instance, monthly payments on a $10,000 liability can be as low as $140, to be paid off over 6 years. Its good to have that kind of breathing room, but you still want to plan on paying the debt off as soon as possible because of how nasty the penalties and interest are. The maximum non-payment penalties are 25% and the maximum non-filing penalties are 21 1/2%, for a grand total of 47% with interest of 4% on top of that compounded daily.

I hope this is helpful. If this answer was "helpful" or was the "best answer," please mark it accordingly.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

2

1

Answered . You need a tax lawyer! The failure to file returns means you are not "current" and cannot get an installment agreement. You need to get your returns prepared. Your tax attorney will file them with the Revenue Officer. Please do not try to handle this yourself.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com
    856 665-2121

3. Paul Arnold Nidich

1

Answered . The two previous answers are right on the mark. You need to hire a tax attorney, and you need to get your 2008, 2009, 2010, AND 2011 taxes filed immediately (assuming you also have not filed your 2011 return). As far as the office being 900 miles from Jacksonville -- Is that where you used to live? Have you ever filed returns from Jacksonville? The office may be in the city the IRS identifies as your tax address. You may need to file a change of address form, but this is something you can discuss with the tax attorney you hire.