What do you need to do if I missed an I-130 interview for adjustment of status because of a lawyer mistake?

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

I missed my adjustment of status I-130 interview and they sent me deportation letter and I talked to my lawyer they said we will get another interview. Now its been exactly a year and two months since I missed my interview and I have not received anything. I asked others they said I just have to pay again and wait another 6 months. Any thoughts, maybe the lawyer has not sent anything because I have not re payed the fee for the form because the lawyer has not asked me to.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

10

Answered . Oh those lawyers! They are always at fault! You, of course, had no idea the interview had been scheduled for a specific day and time! Make an inforpass appointment go there and figure out what is going on. If you are not happy with your lawyer, you can always seek a different one, that who would serve you to your liking.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

5

Answered . You should consult your lawyer about your case.

3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

3

1

Answered . There is obviously something going on with your case because in most cases a "deportation letter" is not sent for a simple no show. Moreover, filing a motion to reopen or refiling may have resolved the issue. If you are not satisfied with your lawyer, obtain a second opinion from another experienced immigration attorney.

4. Elizabeth Guckes Heetderks

3

Answered . The best place to start is contacting your lawyer and asking about the status of your case. You can also check the status of your pending case by going to uscis.gov and entering your receipt number under the Case Status box on the left or calling 1-800-375-5283. Your lawyer may have already filed a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider your case. If not, you may be able to refile the I-130/I-485 and start again, but it may depend on the outcome and basis of denial of your first case. You do not provide enough facts. You should keep in contact with your lawyer and communicate frequently with him/her. Good luck.

5. Sarah Jessica Farber

1

Answered . This is very serious. You need to get in to see another immigration lawyer, as soon as possible. Cynthia Aziz is very good and so is Tin Thanh Nguyen with Central Law Group. Both are in Charlotte. Good luck to you.