What do you need to adopt someone?

Fort Myers, FL |

Like I assume you must have a steady job. Do you need a car? Does each child have to have their own room or can they share if they're the same gender? What else do you need?

1. In order to adopt in Florida, you need a positive Home Study. That will take into account your criminal backgrounds, your age, your financial stability, your job, your health, your home, your education, your support system, etc. It takes a look at everything and makes a determination based on the totality of your lifestyle. Heart of Adoptions does great Home Studies www.heartofadoptions.com

Nicole W. Moore, Esq.
    Jeanne T. Tate, P.A.
    1604 South Bumby Avenue
    Orlando, Florida 32806
    (407) 898-8015
    (407) 898-8215 Facsimile
    www.floridaadoptionattorney.com

Disclaimer
    I am not licensed in any other state than FL.
    The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information and is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, and any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services and runs a conflict check and your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Florida Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case.

Disclaimer I am not licensed in any other state than FL. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information and is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, and any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services and runs a conflict check and your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Florida Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case.

2. To adopt in Florida, you need:

1. An attorney or a licensed adoption agency;

2. A homestudy by a licensed social worker showing that you would make good parents;

3. While you do not have to be wealthy, you do need to have the financial ability to provide for the child you wish to adopt.

4. The child does not have to have its own bedroom.

What I look for first in an adoptive family is whether the family is willing and able to provide a stable and loving environment for the child and provide a basis for the spiritual and emotional growth of the child.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory ekmlaw@bellsouth.net (561)743-3708.

3. You will need to have a home study completed by licensed home study provider. Though there are no strict guidelines regarding some of the things you inquired about, you will need to show that you (and your wife/husband, if married) are financially able to provide for an adopted child. As part of this home study, you will also have to obtain criminal/child abuse/FBI clearances. There are other requirements, which the home study provider will be able to lay out in more detail.

Robert L. Webster III, Esq.
    418 West Platt Street
    Tampa, Florida 33606
    Ph. - 813.258.3355 ext. 111
    Fax - 813.258.3373
    www.floridaadoptionattorney.com

4. I agree with everything all of the other attorneys have said. I wanted to add that if you are considering an international adoption, the country from which you are adopting may have other requirements. For instance, some foreign counries require that you have certain financial resources and some even require that you be under certain weight limits.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!