What do you do when someone threatens to kill your cat/pets?

Minneapolis, MN |

I have new neighbors, needless to say it has not started out as a good relationship as one of them said to me in all seriousness that he would kill my cat if he caught him in his yard again. They've been there a week, I've been here 7 years. I've never had problems with my cat in my neighborhood in all those years and now this. I don't want my cat to get killed by some punk dude who's scared of him, so what should I do? I cannot keep him inside as he howls like a banshee when he wants to go out, and doesn't stop until he gets his way.

1. First, you can be reported for allowing your pet to roam free and you may be cited by the city. A neighbor may make a valid complaint for an animal running free on their property.

Second, your neighbor could be charged for intentionally killing a domestic animal under Minnesota Statutes 343.21.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at http://www.minnesotaLawyers.com

2. I agree with my colleague. Your cat has trained you to let him out - he doesn't "need" to go outside. You can either wait him out or you can take your chances letting him out. I'm not suggesting your neighbor would be justified in killing the cat - just that you have a pretty simple solution to the problem.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Animal law topics