What do you do when an internet forum posts negative information about you without confirming it is true?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marietta, GA

an individual posted a negative review about me and AVVO did not confirmthe content. The major clue was that the person said they paid me $5000 for a criminal case in the last 6 months which is absolutely false- I have not had a single client who paid that fee as posted. Now AVVO will not even give me a clue as to who did this and writes that they are not responsible for confirmimg the content of the postings whether they are true or not; doesn't matter if my reputation is harmed- anyone else have this problem? help....someone!!!!

1. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . AVVO is correct, they are not liable for the content someone else has posted under Section 230 of the Computer Decency Act.

Read the AVVO TOS and see if they have a proceedure for contacting them to remove incorrect posts. If not, your choices are limited. If the post is libelous in nature, you could sue the person as a John Doe and subpoena their record from AVVO.

Your other choice is to comment under the post giving your side of the story. If you choose to do this, do not enter into a dialoug with the poster, just post your story in a factual way. Internet users are getting more and more savvy about negative posts and one post just proves you are human.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . There is a strange disconect in your question. AVVO's only reviews are by clients of attorneys, which means you're a lawyer, and it is strange that a lawyer would post on AVVO asking for help with AVVO.

Review sites act as public forums, and are legally protected from liability for the content by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA). [47 U.S.C. ยง 230. Section 230(c)(1)].

Having said all of the above, if you have information that a review is fraudulent, here is contact info for AVVO:

Mr Josh King (Vice President) or Mr Mark Britton (President)
    Avvo, Inc.
    1501 Fourth Avenue, Suite 1900
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 734-4111

3. Jonathan H Levy

1

Answered . You raise an excellent point. You do have some legal remedies but you would have to weigh the pros and cons. I have had similar problems with blog posts from anonymous posters outside the US. I suggest doing some serious research starting with the TOS and the law of the controlling jurisdiction.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.