What do you do if you have charges against you and you didn't do it and you can prove it?

I have been wrongfully accused of fraud against the company I worked for. I filed a civil complaint against them for wrongful termination and retaliation and in turn they filed charges against me. I took work home and sensitive information was stolen from me. I have proof I didn't do it and I have two written confessions from the person that was involved. There is a warrant for my arrest too. I am scared to death.

1. First off, do not talk to any law enforcement officer if they contact you about this. If a case has actually been filed against you, you need to hire an attorney as soon as possible. Most of us on Avvo offer free consultations.

http://orangecounty.criminallaw.com
    http://kenneylegaldefense.us

2. First and foremost, you cannot speak to any law enforcement officer or person affiliated with the former employer. If there is a warrant for your arrest, your options are to turn yourself in or let the police come get you. You must contact a criminal defense attorney prior to choosing the option you would like because if you have exculpatory evidence (evidence showing you are not guilty), it must be presented to the Police and District Attorney's Office.

This is a very serious case as I'm sure you are aware. It must be handled delicately and by a professional. Give me a call tomorrow if you would like to discuss your case.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

3. I echo the advice of my colleagues - do not speak to anyone other than an attorney about this. even if you believe you have evidence which conclusively establishes the charges against you are bogus, you must be very careful to present them to the right people at the right time. A well-constructed plan of action must be conceived to anticipate the nature of the accusations against you and undermine them if they are based upon falsity.

Do not expect law enforcement to automatically listen to you. Furthermore, any statement you make is open to interpretation and to inference. Revealing your hand at this point might significantly weaken your defense as it allows your accusers time to contemplate and counteract the content. It is far better to wait and find out the full nature of the allegations against you and have those that seek to do you harm locked into a certain position before you reveal your exculpatory evidence.

This may mean you will have to endure arrest. Make sure you retain an attorney in whom you have total confidence. If, indeed, your ex-employers are conspiring against you to retaliate, they obviously are prepared to use deceit at every stage. Stay completely silent and let them make the mistakes, which can then be used against them after proper evaluation.