What do you do if you are involved in a Custody Modification Case in a rural area and the Judges are acting Unethically.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

To date five judges have recused themselves, I'm down to one judge and I ask this Judge to recuse himself due to his wife employment in relation to the witness list. His wife is a teacher and she works with another teacher on the witness list, I am at my wits end.

1. Patrick S Sampair

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I have never seen any case where multiple judges recused themselves. Did you ask the judges to recuse themselves or did they do so on their own motions?

What is the reason 5 judges recused themselves?

What are they doing that is unethical?

Although I do not have the answers to any of the questions I just posed, I think it would be wise to caution you that your statement that 5 or more judges are acting unethically sounds very doubtful. It may be more prudent for you to focus on how to move forward with the case instead of accusing multiple judges of being unethical.

Pick your battles, fight the ones that you can win and avoid fighting the ones you can’t win at all costs.

It may be time to request to move the case to Maricopa County.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
    The Sampair Group, PLLC
    623.218.1000
    480.636.1333

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

2. Kristen Jane DeWitt-Lopez

Answered . I agree with the answers above. If you truly believe that a judge is acting unethically you can file a Complaint with the Commission on Judicial Conduct and they can determine whether your Complaint holds any weight; however, this is a last resort. Keep in mind that it is not unethical for a Judge (or a Judge's family member) to be familiar with a litigant or witness. Recusal is only necessary if there is a legitimate conflict of interest.

3. Vincent Barney Garcia

Pro

Answered . Without more facts I am unable to truly respond. Besides which I don't see a question. But in light of your dilemma you must retain the services of a skilled and experienced family law attorney. Contact the local bar for a referral. Go to the yellow pages and in the beginning of the attorney section you'll find the lawyer referral services section with phone number. Good Luck.