What do you do if a mortgage company has you deceasesed on your credit report? What can be done to remove it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Douglas, GA

I can't barrow anything because this company has me deceased as of 2009 where it should have been my husband that is dead?

1. Kris K. Skaar

1

1

Answered . If you have applied for credit, you need to make sure that you keep all letters rejecting your applications as evidence. In fact, keep all documents relating to this matter, including all letters, envelopes, etc.

You need to have your situation reviewed by an experienced consumer rights attorney. Most [like my firm] will review your case without cost to you. The federal laws that govern credit reports allow you to recover any attorney fees incurred, so you should not have to pay out of your own pocket. Your attorney will just be paid at the end of the case if you win.

2. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Answered . Credit bureaus typically have fairly straightforward instructions to dispute the reports. Have you done that? Have you called them? it is often as easy as that,. though they may ask you for supporting documents.

3. Ronald Edward Daniels

Pro

Answered . Has the mortgage company kept taking payments from you since your husband's death? I advise you to retain all documents you have related to this matter and consult an attorney. There are stiff penalties for companies that fraudulently report matters to credit bureaus. And, obviously, you are not in fact deceased.

There may also be an underlying problem here with the mortgage. Some predatory lenders setup loans that were in default if either person receiving the loan passed away. You should compile your loan documents and show them to any attorney you meet with. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!