What do Workers Compensation attorneys charge?

Burbank, CA |

Do they charge differently depending of whether the workers comp claim is accepted or denied?

So, if I hire an attorney at 15%, will he get 15% regardless of whether the claim is accepted or denied? (I'm asking generally, I'm sure attorneys and clients have latitude to fashion their agreements.)

Price is the same either way. Acceptance/denial really does not factor in, because often the decision has not been made at the time of the attorney's hiring. Civil Attorneys typically contract for 30-40%, so California worker's compensation is one of the better deals out there in contingency arrangements.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

I agree with Mr. Corson. Most of us charge 15% of any settlement. We do have leeway, that is we don't have to charge the full 15% , but very few of us will negotiate... there just isn't much room in a 15% fee.

If you see Nordstrom or Macy's has the big 15% off sale, do you drop everything to get down there? Probably not. Why? Because 15% is chump change. You're looking for the big 50-75% off sale (just hold out another 3 days for that). Well, it's chump change in attorney fees also. I don't negotiate my fees.

The fee is the same, however on a denied claim there will likely be more work for the attorney. Depending on the level of difficulty the Court can award a higher fee to the attorney such as 20%

In Connecticut and most states fees are set by statute. In Connecticut where I practice attorneys charge 20% of the recovery.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I like Connecticut law better but, still, California is 15%.

It's not my area of practice but my understanding is that WC lawyers usually charge 15 percent as counsel stated.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@hjohnsatlaw.com and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.