What do we do now??

my husband was hit by a truck while riding his bike. the police report says the other party failed to stay in his lane. my husband has a broken leg and a scar across his back as well as back pain. the witness stated she saw the other party run off the road and hit him. we got a personal injury lawyer but they dropped us due to the other partys insurance wont pay for bodily injuries or loss of wages. is there anything we can do? the medical bills are piling up.

Jacksonville, FL -

Jeffrey Scott Altman

Jeffrey Scott Altman

Personal Injury Lawyer - Miami, FL

A more detailed explanation as to why the first lawyer dropped your case is necessary. It would be smart to get a copy of your file and then meet with a new attorney to get another opinion and see what your options are. Just because an insurance company states it will not pay does necessarily not mean you have no case.

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Medical Malpractice Attorney

You need to invest in a lawyer.
There are many well qualified lawyers in Jacksonville.
Use the Find A Lawyer link.

Clifford M. Miller

Clifford M. Miller

Personal Injury Lawyer - Vero Beach, FL

It sounds like the other party's insurance does not cover bodily injury liability. So, the next question is whether you carried uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If not, the question is whether there are other sources of recovery. These might include the personal assets of the driver the owner of the car the future husband or if the driver was on an errand for somebody else the assets of that person.

You need to retain a personal injury lawyer and ask those questions of that lawyer. I would also have an asset search run on the potential defendants. The cost of the assets search should be less than ten dollars.

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

I agree with Mr. Holbrook you need a local personal injury attorney to fight for your rights.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

See another lawyer asap.

Michael Ryan Juarez

Michael Ryan Juarez

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Diego, CA

Retain counsel. Mr. Holbrook seems willing.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Call another lawyer. You can use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Keith Patrick Ligori

Keith Patrick Ligori

Personal Injury Lawyer - Tampa, FL

I would recommend that you consult with another personal injury attorney immediately. I have personally found liability insurance where to first attorney thought there was none. Sometimes it's good to get a second opinion.

Ligori & Cappy, Attorneys at Law
813-254-7119
info@ligoricappylaw.com

Timothy Leo Bowden

Timothy Leo Bowden

Personal Injury Lawyer - Goodlettsville, TN

Contact another local attorney.

Tim

Jeffrey Robert Davis

Jeffrey Robert Davis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Miami, FL

A lawyer will do an asset search on the the truck driver and owner if different. You can do your own on line research to see what property they may own,you can do a case search on them with the court clerk and if you want you can hire an investigative service to locate assets if you have a name and date of birth.This should help you determine if pursuing an individual claim with be worthwhile.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

Florida is one of the few states which does not require bodily injury liability insurance. When the other party is uninsured, you need to turn to your own uninsured motorist coverage which is on a vehicle you own or is owned by a resident relative in your household. If there is no coverage anywhere, you will need to personally sue the owner and operator of the vehicle which struck your husband and attempt to collect against whatever assets they may have available.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
James Lawrence Magazine

James Lawrence Magazine

Personal Injury Lawyer - New Port Richey, FL

first get a copy of your file from your prior attorney, see if they received a copy of the trucks insurance policy, it is possible that they are driving without Bodily injury insurance which we can thank our wonderful republican legislature for. if that is the case then you need to look on your own auto insurance policy to see if you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. when you retain your next lawyer make sure they are board certified

Related Advice