What do we do now??

Jacksonville, FL |

my husband was hit by a truck while riding his bike. the police report says the other party failed to stay in his lane. my husband has a broken leg and a scar across his back as well as back pain. the witness stated she saw the other party run off the road and hit him. we got a personal injury lawyer but they dropped us due to the other partys insurance wont pay for bodily injuries or loss of wages. is there anything we can do? the medical bills are piling up.

the accident was dec 4 and the ortho gave him til after march or longer out of work

1. A more detailed explanation as to why the first lawyer dropped your case is necessary. It would be smart to get a copy of your file and then meet with a new attorney to get another opinion and see what your options are. Just because an insurance company states it will not pay does necessarily not mean you have no case.

DISCLAIMER - Any information provided is not legal advice. There is no attorney client relationship created in this group discussion. Do not rely on informal comminucation in this forum as legal advice. If you wish to obtain legal advice you should hire an attorney in your State.

2. You need to invest in a lawyer.
    There are many well qualified lawyers in Jacksonville.
    Use the Find A Lawyer link.

3. I agree with Mr. Holbrook you need a local personal injury attorney to fight for your rights.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

4. Retain counsel. Mr. Holbrook seems willing.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

5. It sounds like the other party's insurance does not cover bodily injury liability. So, the next question is whether you carried uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If not, the question is whether there are other sources of recovery. These might include the personal assets of the driver the owner of the car the future husband or if the driver was on an errand for somebody else the assets of that person.

You need to retain a personal injury lawyer and ask those questions of that lawyer. I would also have an asset search run on the potential defendants. The cost of the assets search should be less than ten dollars.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

6. Call another lawyer. You can use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

7. I would recommend that you consult with another personal injury attorney immediately. I have personally found liability insurance where to first attorney thought there was none. Sometimes it's good to get a second opinion.

Ligori & Cappy, Attorneys at Law
    813-254-7119
    info@ligoricappylaw.com

Legal Disclaimer: Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about The Law Offices of Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com

8. A lawyer will do an asset search on the the truck driver and owner if different. You can do your own on line research to see what property they may own,you can do a case search on them with the court clerk and if you want you can hire an investigative service to locate assets if you have a name and date of birth.This should help you determine if pursuing an individual claim with be worthwhile.

9. Florida is one of the few states which does not require bodily injury liability insurance. When the other party is uninsured, you need to turn to your own uninsured motorist coverage which is on a vehicle you own or is owned by a resident relative in your household. If there is no coverage anywhere, you will need to personally sue the owner and operator of the vehicle which struck your husband and attempt to collect against whatever assets they may have available.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

10. first get a copy of your file from your prior attorney, see if they received a copy of the trucks insurance policy, it is possible that they are driving without Bodily injury insurance which we can thank our wonderful republican legislature for. if that is the case then you need to look on your own auto insurance policy to see if you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. when you retain your next lawyer make sure they are board certified