What do u get for 1st offense on aggravated assault and simple assault

Shelby, MT |

i was wondering because my brother just got arrested for one of these offenses and its his first offense and i was wondering what his charges would be

1. There is no way to accurately answer these questions right now. Aggravated assault could be anything from a misdemeanor to a high end felony. Simple assault is typically a misdemeanor (gross misdemeanor). What he needs to do is sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney and talk over his options. TODAY

2. The county attorney will work up the charges from the police reports, but it is likely he will be charged with felony assault and misdemeanor assault. You can check the law at mt.gov for the sentencing range, but sentencing varies widely based on the facts. A first offense does not get you an automatic pass. If he hurt someone badly or is considered a danger to the community he may do time.

DISCLAIMER: I am not your attorney and readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk. Any comment is for general educational purposes only, and is based only on the limited facts provided, which may or may not be true. It is not legal advice upon which you may rely, as the commenter has not interviewed witnesses or examined any evidence, and has not researched the applicable law. Available defenses may prevent the success of any claim. Competent legal advice should always be obtained from a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any legal action or filing suit.