What do they normally do when your 12yr old pulls a fire alarm.I got a Lawyer,but not sure what happens after talks to the D.A?

Lubbock, TX |
Filed under: Juvenile law

It was after school durning a activity that had nothing to do with school.He admitted to it.Never has been in trouble,gets good grades.He has learned his leason.Why are they acting like he commited murder or something.I've seen people do a lot worse then what he did and get a slap on the hand.This world is going the wrong direction.

I've found that cases of this type result in some kind of deferred prosecution or none at all.

Thank you!

Two observations: (1) You have legal counsel representing your son, he/she is the person to whom your questions/concerns should be addressed. (2) As far as I can tell, the matter is still pending, so I'm confused about your criticism of the process before it has concluded. Don't underestimate the significance of your son's actions. I'm glad to hear that he understands its significance. When emergency services respond to a false alarm they are obviously unable to respond to a real emergency that happens close in time to the false alarm. Is it possible that serious harm could flow from such a distraction of emergency services? I think the question answers itself, and certainly if there were no consequence for such action it likely would become very popular thereby guaranteeing that eventually someone would suffer great harm as a result. I hope it works out satisfactorily for you both.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't get in trouble, but I think a kid who has never been in trouble shouldn't get slapped with a felony. It's not him who's taking the grunt of it. It's the parents financially.How many false alarms do police and firefighters go on a year that's not a felony. A lot, especially police.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Again, you concerns (which by the way I did not intend by my answer to dismiss as unreasonable--you're a parent--I'm a parent) need to be answered by the attorney. He/she should be both willing and able to answer all of your concerns; if not, you might want to consider a change of counsel.

First, you have a lawyer and should be talking to them. Second, attitude of the parent can make a huge difference in how the state proceeds, whether its as a child in need of supervision or delinquent conduct, because there is a big difference on formality of the punishment and lasting consequences. I would suggest a more appropriate attitude towards the process. Again you should speak to your lawyer about these issues. Third, I can only imagine what the cost of summoning a fire department is and in these days of tight budgets you may be about to find out how expensive. Again, current counsel can help steer you through these issues.

Thank you,I have a lawyer and I have a great attuide about it. MY son has never ever been in trouble and I feel we are great parents.

Juvenile law topics