What do judges look for when granting either parent custody of a child

Akron, OH |

I know a girl who is homeless, in between shelters and other houses, a homo-sexual, jobless, not mentally stable (bi-polar & schizophrenic, she is a habitual and pathalogical liar), violent, has history of domestic violence with girlfriend, substance abuse, has been to jail, has warrants in different counties and got beaten in front of her child. while the father is a business owner, with a stable home & room for the child, and tends to the childs every need, no warrants, no mental conditions, and can fully support the child

As a general rule, the court must determine what custody arrangements are in the best interests of the child, but the relevant factors are rarely this black-and-white. If the result is not obvious to the court, there must be more to the story.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

As noted by the other attorney, the basis that the Court uses is what is in the "best interest of the child". Also as noted, it may not be as black and white as it seems. While your perception is that the mother has all of these issues - it still must be proven to the Court. This is where the problems come in. What proof is there of these issues? Is the "evidence" of these problems heresay? (testimony of another who is not present which is offered to establish whatever that other person was talking about). Such testimony is not admissible and the Court will tend to give it little weight even if presented without objection. (Saying she is a habitual and pathalogical liar does not help the court - unless the witness is a qualified expert in psychology). This is why having legal representation is so important. The attorney can develop the evidence into a coherent presentation that will be persuasive to the Court. Hire legal counsel and follow their instructions.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at:

believe it or not, all the allegations I stated, I have evidence. police reports, pictures, messages of her threatening me, etc. There was a case 2 years ago, in which the judge found in favor of the father but the mother said she was going to act right and has failed to hold up her end of the bargain. This child comes to me telling me that mommy 2 hit mommy # 1 and made her cry. The mother called me crying because her girlfriend hit her with a 2x4 in her ribs and arm, and the next day knocked her unconcious with a liquor bottle. He is filing for emergency custody next week, so wish him luck I would guess. his baby is so sweet and does not deserve to live in that environment.