What do I when Children's Hospital & DHS fail to notify the police that my son was beaten by his father?

Asked 8 months ago - Knoxville, TN

May 19, 2012, I met with my son's father to pick him up. My son wanted me to help clean him after having a bowel movement when I saw both buttocks almost covered with severe bruising. I took him to Children's Hospital where pictures and measurements were taken. I was so upset I thought they would know what to do. I did not talk to a social worker, and the police were not called. Instead, I was asked if I wanted DHS called. I said that's why I'm here, I want charges made against his father. The hospital said DHS would call. The DA of Blount County has never been notified even after DHS spoke to me. The case is in Juvenile Court, but I want it in Criminal Court because that's what his actions were. His father admitted to "whooping" him with a sword in the petition. I filed a report,what now?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Wilton A. Marble Jr.

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You could call your local DA's office and make an appointment to talk to the assistant district attorney who handles those types of cases. Be sure to take the pictures when you go to talk to the assistant district attorney. If they think there is a criminal case against father they will pursue it.

    The answering of this question does NOT establish an attorney\client relationship. If you wish to hire me call me... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,419 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,419 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering