Skip to main content

What do I put under "I am applying for permanent resident adjustment of status because:" section of an i-485?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

I will be filing an I-130 for my parent who overstayed their i-94. I was told she could file the i-485 and i-130 together. However, that means she doesn't yet have approval for a visa. Not sure how to proceed on this.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I am assuming that you are over the age of 21. If that's the case, yes you can file all the documents concurrently eventhough there's not an I-130 approved yet.

  2. You should hire competent counsel to help you with this. But yes, all the applications are filed concurrently. You will be interviewed and if she is approved she will get her green card. A lot of forms, procedures and evidence goes into this simplified statement though and I would at a minimum consult with competent counsel instead of blindly sending in some forms.

  3. It is correct you can file the I130 and i485 together as an Adjustment of Status packet. But there are a host of other forms that must accompany these two. Consult with an attorney who can help you properly petition for your mother.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics