What do I need to present in order to vacate a judgment?

Our HOA Board obtained a judgment against me, and I just recently paid off the association debt. What do I need to accompany the motion to vacate judgment? Can owner's ledger (balance = 0 or having credits in it)? Do I need an attorney for it? Thank you very much for your answer in advance.

Chicago, IL -

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Mokena, IL

If you paid the judgment, you need a release and satisfaction of judgment. Make sure your record the release.

Joan Marie Fenstermaker

Joan Marie Fenstermaker

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Chicago, IL

You must also be current with your assessments (in addition to having paid off the judgment). Once you're current and have paid the judgment, you can file a motion to vacate the judgment. See 735 ILCS 5/9-111. Get a statement from the HOA showing that you are current in payments and have paid the judgment. If the HOA has rented your unit to a tenant, you may not be able to recover possession until the tenant's lease expires.

Gary D. Bollinger

Gary D. Bollinger

Bankruptcy Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

It is probably too late to vacate the judgment.

Furthermore, since it appears you paid the judgment, you might only be entitled to a satisfaction of judgment .