What do I need to present in order to vacate a judgment?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

Our HOA Board obtained a judgment against me, and I just recently paid off the association debt. What do I need to accompany the motion to vacate judgment? Can owner's ledger (balance = 0 or having credits in it)? Do I need an attorney for it?

Thank you very much for your answer in advance.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you paid the judgment, you need a release and satisfaction of judgment. Make sure your record the release.

  2. Joan Marie Fenstermaker

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . You must also be current with your assessments (in addition to having paid off the judgment). Once you're current and have paid the judgment, you can file a motion to vacate the judgment. See 735 ILCS 5/9-111. Get a statement from the HOA showing that you are current in payments and have paid the judgment. If the HOA has rented your unit to a tenant, you may not be able to recover possession until the tenant's lease expires.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should... more
  3. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It is probably too late to vacate the judgment.

    Furthermore, since it appears you paid the judgment, you might only be entitled to a satisfaction of judgment .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,022 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,022 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering