What do I need to know before renting out a station at my beauty salon?

Asked about 2 years ago - Menlo Park, CA

I am trying to rent a station at my beauty salon and have no idea what laws I need to go by. Can you please guide me on this step by step, from lease agreement , collecting deposit, how utilities are broken down, and procedures I must know about; for example, can I make the closing time at my establishment be the same for the person renting the station (not later than my hours)? Thanks

1. Robin Mashal

3

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

It would be impossible to cover all aspects of landlord tenant law for you here. It certainly behooves you to have a written agreement, whether as a lease or month-to-month basis. You should receive and hold a security deposit. It would be a great idea to ask for credit references, and if the potential tenant consents, to obtain a credit check. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . As Attorney Mashal indicates, there are a number of considerations which would not be possible to cover in a short response.

it goes without saying that you need a written agreement which spells out the rights and obligations of the parties. Preferably, you should have a security deposit. Your written agreement can set forth the hours of operating.

3. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

Answered . you will need to prepare and execute a lease. you should contact a local landlord tenant lawyer.