What do I need to file against someone who has threatened to end my life?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Pompano Beach, FL

My ex girlfriend's current fiance' sent me an email today in which he said, "my days are over" and that "he will cause me a lot of pain" if I do not give up custody of my daughter. I am scared and I plan to go to the local police department today, but I do not know what I need to file.

1. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . You need to go to the police and you need to file for a restraining order. Go to your local domestic violence intake unit and they will assist you in filing. I practice in Dade county primarily and am not familiar with where the Broward domestic violence intake unit is. Ask the police or call the clerk of court and they can direct you. You need to do this right away. Good luck!

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . File a domestic violence petition. Yes, report this to the police immediately. In addition, you will need to file the domestic violence petition in the local court with jurisdiction, which the police will direct you to.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. True legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney in your jurisdiction with experience in the area in which your concern lies.