What do I need to do to terminate child support in GA?

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

My daughter turned 18 in January and will graduating from high school in May. My child support order states that I am responsible for paying CS until she turns 18 or completes secondary school. Are there papers that i have to file to end my CS or is automatically ended at the time she graduates.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Anthony M. Zezima


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your child support order states that it ends upon the child turning 18, or completing secondary school, you may just stop paying child support in the first month after she graduates. However, if there is an income deduction order in place, you may need to get an order from the court to stop that deduction from coming out of your paycheck. If that is necessary, you should seek the help of a Family Law Attorney.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However,... more
  2. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . While child support obligations are supposed to automatically terminate upon the occurrences indicated within the order, there are circumstances wherein obtaining an order of termination would be required. If you fall within such a circumstance (e.g., subject to an income deduction order) or if you just want to be on the safe side, you would need to file an action to terminate child support. You do not need to wait until May to file such an action, and can ask that the order give a date certain when support is to terminate.

    Good luck.

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,078 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,078 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering