What do I need to do to put a hold on someone's income tax refund for child Support?

East Stroudsburg, PA |

The original child support order paperwork has not been delivered yet, but they have filed for there income tax refund. Is there a way I can put a hold on there refund? I also believe they have claimed the children on the income tax refund. How can I report this? I have custody of these children and the paperwork to prove it.

If the arrears reach a certain level, the Domestic Relations Office will intercept his refund. Sometimes you have to call their office to make sure that they file the necessary paperwork. If you have primary physical custody of the children and he claimed the children as dependents without your having signed IRS Form 8332 giving him permission to claim them, you will have to contact the IRS to report this situation to them.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

Randi's advice is correct.

Tax law topics