What do I need to do to make sure my attorney gets me the best settlement in a personal injury claim?

Taos, NM |

I'd like to know what I need to know and do to help my attorney in getting the best claim before I start the process of hiring an attorney.

That's a very broad question, but I'll try to give a couple points of information.

First, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible. I say that because there may be evidence that needs preserving and the passage of time my hinder the ability to get that evidence. Also, you don't want to inadvertantly do something to hurt your case because you do not know better.

Second, you should hire an attorney who, as a starting point, has the requisite skill and experience to handle your type of case. There are many tools online to research that, including AVVO, Martindale-Hubbel, attorney websites, etc. Word of mouth is also sometimes useful. But having determined the attorney has the appropriate skill and experience, you should make sure their personality fits yours and that you are comfortable taking advice from that person. I suggest meeting at least 3 attorneys before making a decision.

If you have been injured, make sure you get treated promptly and you have a doctor who will cooperate with your lawyer when you hire one. Not all doctors do.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

I would suggest that you ask your attorney to advise you what he expects from you in how you can cooperate and help him in achieving the best results possible for you. You also may find it helpful to review some of the Legal Guides I have published on which deals with many of the issues you are facing as a tort victim.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

First find the right lawyer. Try Martindale Hubbell or and find someone that is AV Peer Review Rated that works in personal injury law. Also check the Avvo site. Then, be completely open and honest. Do not conceal information that you think might hurt your case. Share it with your lawyer so he or she can be ready for it. Do not communicate with insurers and investigators.

John Zgourides

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Recommended articles about Personal injury