Skip to main content

What do I need to do to lawfully leave the country after resigning a job with h1b visa

Philadelphia, PA |

My last day of work is April 13th.
I have one - way airplane tickets for that same day.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Leaving in itself is sufficient - be sure to hold on to boarding passes, e-mailed itineraries etc. as proof of departure in case you are questioned on some later attempt to reenter the U.S.

    The important thing - if you are departing - is that you are doing so before 180 days or more elapse from the expiration of your I-94 (not a problem for you, as your I-94 would not yet have expired when you leave).

  2. I agree, I would only add that when your I-94 is surrendered, the CBP will record your departure. I'm attaching a link from the CBP for persons who forgot to surrender their I-94 - it provides some information that is relevant to your question. Good luck!

    Please note that he information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

  3. Nothing, except that you are out of status and you are starting to accrue unlawful presence. If you are in the US after 180 days, you will be subject to a 3 year bar after 1 year the 10 year bar. Consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

    Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at All initial constulations are free.

  4. Timely leave the country being sure to surrender the I-94 on the way home.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics