Skip to main content

What do I need to do to keep my boyfriend from being deported back to Mexico?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

My boyfriend got arrested on Friday because he had a warrant but the reason was because he was drunk in public and the thing is that he does not have his green card anymore but is it true that he will be deported because of something that was not a very bad crime??? He was deported twice I guess but can he get his visa over there and then take a test to become a u.s citizen???? I need the help I can get. He wants to get married too so what do I do??

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There are several factors that will impact your boyfriend's case, including why he doesn't have his green card anymore and the details about his prior deportations. Marrying a U.S. citizen could give him more options to be in the United States legally, but depending on his history, it might not solve all his immigration problems. Your boyfriend's case is complicated, and he needs to talk to an immigration attorney in person as soon as possible. An attorney will need to review all the facts of his case and any documents he has in more detail in order to advise him of his options.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.

  2. He needs to consult with an immigration lawyer and discuss his case in detail. Many of us offer free consultations.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  3. I think at this juncture the best thing to do is to find an immigration attorney in CA. We need to know much more of the facts of the case to give you any guidance.

  4. Please consult an attorney experienced in immigration with knowledge of criminal consequences on immigration. Your post requires consideration of entire background history criminal as well as immigration to provide an appropriate answer. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Practice Area: Immigration
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics