Skip to main content

What do I need to do to get rid of an attorney who is doing nothing for my case?

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I was represented in a child support motion to modify, paid attorney the fees she asked, went to court she told me we settled but I have yet to hear from her in two months. She will not return my calls, texts or messages etc...No other attorney will talk to me because she is representing me. I would not think so by the way she is acting. I need help! What can I do??? PLEASE help!

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Continue calling or texting if you like, but you should begin addressing the issue in writing. Regular mail is more likely to gain a response than e-mail, and certified mail is your best method of proving (if you need to) that your attorney received the correspondence.

    Calmly and succinctly outline your understanding of where things stand, your questions about moving forward, your expectations of your attorney and the steps that you believe need to be taken to regain your confidence. Include a deadline for return communication, and instruct your attorney that a failure to respond will result in termination of her services and the return of any unearned fees.

    Lawyers, like anyone else, can be fired. You aren't married to your attorney any more than she is married to you. If you aren't receiving the level of communication you believe you deserve, consider firing your attorney in precisely the same manner that I've outlined above.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Texas. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship.

  2. My colleagues' advice is sound. I have added a link that will at least get you started to some reasearch on filing a grievence, or some alternatives to get some help.

    Good luck to yolu.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Professional ethics topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics