Skip to main content

What do I need to do to get my 33 year old son who won't work, out of my house?

Murfreesboro, TN |

My son hasn't worked in 2 years. He has been addicted to pain killers to a deadly degree and although he is not using like that any more, I know he still does from time to time because I find needles and such in his room now and then. I've given him several notices and dates to have a job or move out, but he won't get a job or leave.

Attorney Answers 1


Give him written notice that you are terminating any agreement you have with him in 30 days and that if he isn't out by then you will have him evicted. If he doesn't move out, file a forcible entry and detainer warrant in the general sessions court where your house is located.

Many attorneys will handle this type of action for less than $250, plus the cost to file the warrant.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Tennessee. Responses are based solely on Tennessee law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful