What do i need to do to get legal custody of a grandchild when the mother is willing to give legal custody

Asked over 4 years ago - Lacey, WA

Custody of child when paretn is willing to give custody

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kathryn D Resnick

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . I'm assuming by "legal custody" you mean non-parental/third party custody (and not adoption or guardianship). You will need to file a Nonparental Custody Petition stating that 1) the child is not in the physical custody of one of his/her parents, or 2) neither of his/her parents are suitable custodians. The mother can join in the petition thereby agreeing that the court can enter an order granting you custody. Where is the child's father? If he is known, he will need to be included in the proceedings, either by joining the petition, or by giving him notice and an opportunity to respond. Even with both parents joining in the petition, there are several procedural steps that need to be taken before a permanent custody order can be entered and you would be well served to consult with an attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,692 answers this week

3,117 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,692 answers this week

3,117 attorneys answering