Skip to main content

What do I need to do to be eligible for re entry in the US and how much will it cost?

San Diego, CA |

I am a minor who overstayed in the US due to my parents who came in with a tourist visa and soon extended to a student visa but could no longer pay for extension due to financial problems. We are currently in our home town and it's been two years since we were last in the US. We wish to re enter the US for work and education purposes. I also have a sibling who was born in the US and was granted citizenship under the law. He was not granted more than a year to stay here but no one could bring him back because of our status. What do we need to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is impossible to tell whether you or your parents have any immigration options from what you have posted. Depending on how old you were when you lived here, and how long you were out of status, you may have a three or ten year bar on returning. Depending on whether you or your parents left under an order of deportation or a voluntary departure, there may be other bars and restrictions on your returning. You make no mention of any relatives or professional employment options in the United States which may give you an opportunity for a visa. As far as you brother who is a U.S. citizen, his options will depend on his age. Make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private. Many will do consultation by phone or by Skype.

This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.



I was around 10 years old when I came there but I was still legal then. We overstayed for three years. We left voluntarily. We weren't deported. We do have relatives who are US Citizens in the US. My brother is 2 years old and he left the US when he was just months old.


Minors do not accumulate unlawful presence until age 18, you all need to consult an attorney first then apply for the right visa at the consulate, and if you are issued a visa, then enter legally, and accomplish your purpose.



If issued a visa, is it guaranteed that I will not be denied at the Port of Entry?

Morrie Pour Nourian

Morrie Pour Nourian


again I would advise to consult an attorney, and let them help you. you would not do surgery on yourself without medical training, why do this without legal training?

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer