What do I need to do in the court room? What am I walking into?

Lilburn, GA |

I got caught shoplifting at Walmart. It was $40 worth of stuff. It was merchandise like Washclothes, toothbrushes, underwear, a bra, and towels. It for my brother and I cause at the time, my mother had shipped us off to our dad's cause she had mentally and physically broke down. My court date is this coming tuesday. I have no money for a lawyer.

ask for the judge to appoint a public defender to represent you

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Without a lawyer, what do I need to do?

Go to my profile (click on my name) and read my legal guide on Diversion. If you have never been in trouble before, that is probably going to be applicable to you. You always should try to have a lawyer represent you, and if you can't afford one, you should ask the court to appoint one to you. There are simply too many risks to try to handle any criminal matter on your own.

Ask for a public defender.