What do I need to do in order to properly prepare for a Trial Setting & Settlement Conference?

Asked about 2 years ago - Berkeley, CA

I'm a Pro Per defendant & have so far, been very effective in my various discovery requests. I've had the court deem admitted 82 out of 119 RFAs w/underlying 17.1 form Interrogs, which I think destroys their case relative to me (IMHO) & have several more disc. motions pending. In early Nov. there is a Trial Setting & Settlement Conference calendared (same day as my motions). The court gave opp. counsel some very specific things to research re: one of the named defendants who is serving 8 yrs. in the Federal System. Basically the Court wanted opp. counsel to sort out the details of his attendance by phone or in person, and I don't think that has been done. At any rate, what do I need to do in order to be prepared for this session as it relates to trial setting & Settlement conference?

1. Adam Krolikowski

1

Answered . Take a look at http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm... for information concerning the Settlement Conference. For trial setting, at a minimum review the following: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1316.htm. Good luck and God Bless.

2. Jeffrey R Caffee

1

Answered . Generally, at a trial setting, you will need to be prepared to discuss the case and, particularly, the legal and factual issues that remain disputed between the parties. Also, you should have an idea of how long trial will last.

Settlement conferences will vary from judge to judge, but again you should be prepared to discuss the legal and factual issues of your case. It is usually helpful to brief the legal and factual issues prior to the settlement conference so that you can work out the issues in writing. Once that is done you should be prepared to discuss these issues before a judge (or mediator).