Skip to main content

What do I need to do in order to change my child's name?

Youngstown, OH |

My child is a week old,and I am not sure about his first name fitting.I already filled out the birth certificate form.& I am still in process of waiting to recieve the certificate & his social security card.I am unmarried so what do I need to do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Wait until you get all the information back and then you have to fill out an application in the Probate Court of the county you live in.

  2. After you get the birth certificate back, you can approach the Probate Court about a name change action. These are inexpensive and without paternity established, you will not need the consent of the father (if he isn't named on the Birth Certificate). But before you change the name--make sure it's what you think is best for the child. Think about how you selected the name. What are you replacing it with, and how does it fit the child? Think before you act. And, Congratulations. Good Luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney.