What do I need to do in order to adopt my unborn niece?

Asked 11 months ago - Warner Robins, GA

My sister is a drug addict and has decided that she doesn't want her unborn child. She agreed to let me adopt her. Since she is a relative I'm not sure how to go about it.

1. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

2

Answered . You need to retain an experienced family law attorney who regularly handles adoptions in the county where you live, before the child is born.

2. Barry Dean Broome

2

Answered . Adoptions are too complex to do it alone. You should hire an attorney who has the expertise to accomplish your wishes.

3. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

2

Answered . Nothing can be filed until the child is born, but much of the work can be done and ready to go once the child is born, leading to you being potentially able to leave the hospital with the child. You will need to have your niece sign a consent once the child is born, and she will have 10 days to change her mind. Also, you need to find out from her as much information that she may have regarding the father, because he will be an essential party.
    Call an adoption attorney in your area to find out what needs to be done and have them ready to move once the child is born.

4. Birney O'Brian Bull

Answered . Not in your county, but I've done it many times, and adoption is all I do.

5. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . An adoption cannot be filed until birth, but some preparation can be done now. The single most critical thing is to hire an experienced adoption lawyer ASAP. This is not something to try on your own. Bear in mind the father's rights have to be addressed too. If the father will consent, the case will be less costly.