What do I need to do in order to adopt my unborn niece?

Warner Robins, GA |

My sister is a drug addict and has decided that she doesn't want her unborn child. She agreed to let me adopt her. Since she is a relative I'm not sure how to go about it.

You need to retain an experienced family law attorney who regularly handles adoptions in the county where you live, before the child is born.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.

Not in your county, but I've done it many times, and adoption is all I do.

Adoptions are too complex to do it alone. You should hire an attorney who has the expertise to accomplish your wishes.

Nothing can be filed until the child is born, but much of the work can be done and ready to go once the child is born, leading to you being potentially able to leave the hospital with the child. You will need to have your niece sign a consent once the child is born, and she will have 10 days to change her mind. Also, you need to find out from her as much information that she may have regarding the father, because he will be an essential party.
Call an adoption attorney in your area to find out what needs to be done and have them ready to move once the child is born.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

An adoption cannot be filed until birth, but some preparation can be done now. The single most critical thing is to hire an experienced adoption lawyer ASAP. This is not something to try on your own. Bear in mind the father's rights have to be addressed too. If the father will consent, the case will be less costly.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.