What do I need to do in Minnesota to become a Legal Guardian

Asked over 1 year ago - Eagan, MN

My sister's 14 year old daughter is coming from Russia this summer to live with us. She is a US citizen. She will finish school and go to college here in the States. I will have to add her to my Medical Insurance too.
Where do I start? What exact papers do I need to gather and fill out? Do I need an Attorney for that or I can file all papers myself. I called the Court but they did not give me a strait answer.

1. Drake Daigoro Metzger

1

1

Answered . You would likely need to bring a petition for third-party custody. Assuming your sister has agreed to such an arrangement, you would need to execute a stipulation for third-party custody. This stipulation would address your rights as a third-party custodial "parent" of your niece, as well as your rights to access information relative to her. I would suggest speaking with a lawyer to help you with this process as and fully evaluate your situation. I offer a free one hour consultation 763-404-8240.

2. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

Answered . You have several options depending on what your goals are and what your sister wants. Provide more details and you may get more specific answers.

www.majeskilaw.com