What do I need to do before a lawyer can officiate my marriage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

We cannot have an actual wedding ceremony and just need someone to marry us. If I get a lawyer to do it what do I need beforehand? Is there a better way than using a lawyer? Will that be all I need to change my last name?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Colorado anyone can officiate at a marriage - even the bride and groom. All you need to do is to get a marriage license and have someone sign it (or sign it yourself) as the officiant. You can have a lawyer do it, or you can have anyone else that you wish. Alternatively, you can live together and agree to be married and you will be legally married in Colorado. Having the marriage license will make it easier to handle the name change.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,117 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,117 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering