What do I need to do about a ticket, with speeding and endangering persons and property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dobson, NC

Was not going as fast as said, a truck in front of me was traveling extremely fast. She could have clocked them, I have a child, I do not go this fast. I'm from Surry County, not the County the ticket was issued in.

1. Walter A. Schmidlin III

Answered . It appears from your question that you were charged with speeding and careless and reckless driving. Often times a law enforcement officer will cite for both if the speed is high, but that does not mean that the person is necessarily guilty of both. "I wasn't going THAT fast" is not a viable defense to speeding. to insure that best result, both to your driving record, and your insurance bill, you will need to contact a lawyer. I suggest using a lawyer in the county where you received the ticket as they are most likely to know how such matters are handled in that county. There are 100 counties in North Carolina, and, it appears, 100 different ways of handling traffic matters.

2. Kenneth D. Burns

Pro

Answered . You need to consult an attorney in the county where you received the citation. It has become common practice with Highway Patrol to charge both offenses for higher speeds. That is not proper since it is the same conduct. You face the possibility of substantially higher insurance premiums if you get convicted of Reckless driving. A good attorney can get it worked out for you.

3. Erika Leigh Hamby

Answered . If you were cited with speeding and reckless driving (based on your description I would guess that to be the charges) then you need to speak with an attorney in your area. Often times these types of citations can be resolved with attending driving school or community work service if you have a good driving record. If you do not have a good driving record it may be even more important that you speak to an attorney, because these types of charges could lead to much higher insurance costs and a potential suspension of your license.