What do I need to consider when an employee who was terminated for cause files an unemployment claim with EDD?

Torrance, CA |

I do not necessarily want to prevent the ex-employee from obtaining unemployment benefits, but do want to know how the claim could/would affect my business and potential future obligations to pay into the unemployment fund.

1. If you are the owner of an on-going business, you need to be in an on-going attorney-client relationship with a general business attorney who can advise you on the myriad matters that will present themselves repeatedly over time: personnel, payroll, discrimination and harassment claims, worker's compensation, premises liability, unemployment benefits, leases, compliance with state and municipal laws and regulations, contracts with vendors, suppliers and customers, etc. No business can thrive by using Avvo as a one-off substitute for a comprehensive and in-depth grasp of your business' overall legal posture.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. The EDD provides a great resource for you to study and learn about how the unemployment insurance process will affect you as a business person. Please take a look at the following links for that resource.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/

Take a look especially at the Employer Information link on that page.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Business topics