Skip to main content

What do I have to do before leaving the country for about 5 months?

Livonia, MI |
Filed under: Immigration

I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I've been living here for about 8.5-9 years now. In May, I will be going to my home country and I will be staying there for about 5 months. Do I need to file any paperwork or anything? Will this cause any problems?

Attorney Answers 3


US citizens do not have a physical presence requirement in the US.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



This is a bit odd. So, if you literally stayed out of the country for months or years, the citizenship will still remain? That's a bit outrageous.


How did you become a Lawful Permanent Resident?

If you ever applied for asylum, claiming persecution or reasonable fear of persecution from your home country, then you should discuss your situation with an experienced immigration attorney before you travel to your home country.

Otherwise, it appears that your visit to your home country will not trigger any immigration consequences, in light of the fact that you are a U.S. Citizen.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


No, now that you are a US Citizen ... you can travel anywhere that lets you in ... as long as they give you a visa ... do NOT use your old passport.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics