What do I have to do before leaving the country for about 5 months?

Asked over 1 year ago - Livonia, MI

I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I've been living here for about 8.5-9 years now. In May, I will be going to my home country and I will be staying there for about 5 months. Do I need to file any paperwork or anything? Will this cause any problems?

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . How did you become a Lawful Permanent Resident?

If you ever applied for asylum, claiming persecution or reasonable fear of persecution from your home country, then you should discuss your situation with an experienced immigration attorney before you travel to your home country.

Otherwise, it appears that your visit to your home country will not trigger any immigration consequences, in light of the fact that you are a U.S. Citizen.

2. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . US citizens do not have a physical presence requirement in the US.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . No, now that you are a US Citizen ... you can travel anywhere that lets you in ... as long as they give you a visa ... do NOT use your old passport.