What do I have to be aware of when selling one of my retail stores?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rosemead, CA

My company currently own 2 retail locations and is planning on selling 1 that is not making profits. I would still like to continue to use the same brand name but is afraid that once the store is sold the new owner might go a different way of doing business and affect my brand. Is there a good way to protect my brand?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

9

Answered . The issues raised by this question are way beyond the degree of information that can be offered here on this site to assist you. You need an attorney to successfully navigate and complete the intended transaction. Failure to consult with a skilled and qualified attorney at the beginning of this effort, and throughout the course through completion to close of escrow and beyond, would be a textbook definition of pound-foolish.

2. Michael Charles Doland

7

Answered . I agree with Ms. McCall.
    If your store's name is trademarked, you could sell the assets and transfer the lease of the second store, license the name subject to quality control supervision, and that is only one option.

3. Scott Gregory Nathan

7

Answered . Ms. McCall and Mr. Doland are two of the best and I agree, you should consult with a lawyer who handles this type of matter to protect your interests. Good Luck.

4. Dana Howard Shultz

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and will add the following (another reason why you need a lawyer's help):

Depending on the ways you control the new owner's operation, you could unintentionally create a franchisor-franchisee relationship, which likely would be a major problem from your perspective. Please see the post at the link below.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.