What do I expect for a "state level fair hearing before an independent Administrative Law Judge"?

Greenwood Village, CO |

Arapahoe County Human Services just sent me a letter and "confirmed me as the person identified as the person responsible for the incident of child abuse or neglect detailed below"....
I do want to appeal, I have 90 days. I have no idea what to expect. I am aware that the threshold is more likely than not, seems pretty low but here I am pegged.
I need my name cleared. How do I manage my expectations? How do I find a lawyer? Will there be a trial? Can I submit evidence? Can I request what materials were used to get their conclusion that "I" was the person responsible? Are there workshops in the Denver area? HelpFull Tips? Thinking it will help, I wish to present that the accuser has made over 100 allegations against me and is mentally ill.

If you are seeking to retain counsel, I can tell you that we have represented a number of clients in hearings with the CO Department of Human Services based upon allegations of child abuse/neglect. If you wish to consult with us, we are available to schedule a meeting with you. Feel free to contact us.

How do I manage my expectations?
There are many attorneys that offer free consultations. Meet with a lawyer to discuss the specific allegations and findings to determine what you should expect.

How do I find a lawyer?
AVVO seems like the place to be! Look at some profiles and websites and find someone with D&N and criminal law training. While this is an Administrative process, it is very much like a hearing.

Will there be a trial? Can I submit evidence? Can I request what materials were used to get their conclusion that "I" was the person responsible?
Once you give notice that you want to appeal, you will receive all of the information about the process and timelines involved. The last hearing I did was very much like a trial with exchange of exhibits and information for the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) to consider.

Are there workshops in the Denver area? HelpFull Tips? Thinking it will help, I wish to present that the accuser has made over 100 allegations against me and is mentally ill.
This won't be the ideal strategy. While the accusor's history of allegations may be helpful, the ALJ is looking at what the allegation is and is it more likely than not that the child was abused or neglected while in your care.

I encourage you to call an Arapahoe County criminal attorney for a free initial consultation.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

I agree with the other answers indicating you should contact an attorney for a free consultation to fully understand the procedural processes, legal authority, potential options and outcomes, and your best course of action. Good luck!

Administrative law topics